4A - Forming an Opportunity Belief
1.My belief is that there is an unmet need for a less packaging/ recycled materials option when ordering packages online.
2. Many people order things online because it's convenient and as simple as hitting a few buttons. For example, Amazon has become a powerhouse for those who find the convenience in ordering items online. Recently, top mega chains like Walmart and Target have began competing with Amazon prime with their order online and pick up in store system. Conscious consumers realize Amazon packages come stuffed with a concerning amount of plastics, styrofoam, and bubble wrap. Amazon has purchased Whole Foods, a popular Eco-minded grocery chain popular in us U.S. and the U.K. With that, I believe there is room for Amazon to make more environmentally conscious options for their Eco-minded consumers. Currently, there are no options on Amazon to opt for an environmentally conscious packaging option.
3. Questions I asked:
Do you order packages frequently? How frequently?
Do you refrain from using/ buying items with one use plastics?
Does the amount of packaging within your ordered package every annoy or concern you?
Would you be willing to be extra for a package which is packaged with recycled materials/ less materials?
(Person #1) A 20 year old female college student.
1.Do you order packages frequently? How frequently? I order packages very often. Usually between 3-4 packages per month because I like to purchase beauty and self care essentials on Amazon for the low prices.
2. Do you refrain from using/ buying items with one use plastics? Normally I don’t, but it has become a more prominent thing in my every day life. I am aware of the effects of one use plastics on the planet.
3. Does the amount of packaging within your ordered package every annoy or concern you? Sometimes I just feel like its unnecessary, I mean, why does a book have to come with bubble wrap around it?
4. Would you be willing to pay extra for a package which is packaged with recycled materials/ less materials? I would be willing to pay up to a dollar or two extra for eco friendly packaging if it meant I didn’t have to throw away the plastics and bubble wrap stuffed into my package.
(Person #2) A 21 year old male college student.
1. Do you order packages frequently? How frequently?
On average I order packages from amazon about twice a month when I’m unable to find something at target or Walmart.
2. Do you refrain from using/ buying items with one use plastics?
I would say yes I do refrain from buying things with excess plastic because I find it wasteful and messy
3. Does the amount of packaging within your ordered package every annoy or concern you?
All the time, having things wrapped in four different types of plastic is not protecting it more than just one so I see no point to it and find it unnecessary
4. Would you be willing to pay extra for a package which is packaged with recycled materials/ less materials?
Absolutely, I do think that it should be the industry standard to be mindful of packaging but I wouldn’t mind paying more if it meant being more eco-friendly
(Person #3) A 48 year old Woman
1.Do you order packages frequently? How frequently? I rarely order packages, only if I'm unable to find something at the store.
2.Do you refrain from using/ buying items with one use plastics? Typically I don't refrain from using one use plastics because I find them to be convenient.
3.Does the amount of packaging within your ordered package every annoy or concern you? Not at all, I'd like my things to be safe when traveling from state to state and sometimes even from different countries.
4.Would you be willing to pay be extra for a package which is packaged with recycled materials/ less materials? I'm not sure because I don't know what constitutes "eco-friendly" packaging. Or if it would keep what I ordered safe.
Reflection:The newer generation appreciates convenience, meaning that they are more inclined to order day to day items online which many people purchase in store at corporations like Walmart and Target. Younger people are more aware of the environmental ramifications of one use plastics in their day to day life. Whereas the 48 year old woman is more concerned with the item ordered to be safe while it travels.
Summary: I thoroughly believe there is a market for the option of eco friendly packaging on internet retailers, much like Amazon. Many people are realizing, if not already aware, of the effects their ecological footprint have on the Earth. Many would like to make small changes within their everyday lives to decrease their ecological footprint. For many it is hard to quit all plastics cold turkey, but a small step like reducing the amount of one use plastics and paper within an ordered package could make a consumer feel like they're fulfilling their duty and doing their best to make a difference.
Hi Ayla,
ReplyDeleteYour idea is great, eco-friendly packaging, it is not just a business, but also a responsibility to the ecosystem. If the online packaging could be eco-friendly, that will do less harm to the environment. I like your idea, and through your Q&A parts, it is clear that there would be an opportunity to operate this idea, and there is a huge group who prefer online shopping, so this idea will work well.
Hi Ayla,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your ideas about trying to stop the waste of plastic and Styrofoam in packages such as Amazon. I agree with what you had to say about the packages containing so much plastic waste. I order a lot of items on Amazon frequently and I have noticed that they usually contain a lot of stuffing in each package, which I usually toss away in the dumpster. There should really be an solution to the amount of paper and plastic being wasted.
Hi Ayla,
ReplyDeleteI thought this idea was absolutely brilliant. In my experience, a lot of companies try to package things in unnecessary ways to make their product more aesthetically pleasing. With all of the environmental issues pressing our world right now I completely agree with this opportunity belief. I thought it was very interesting in your reflection that you analyzed the generational differences and elaborated upon why the answers differed. In your conclusion, I wish you would've elaborated more upon whether you should fully take consumers feedback into consideration when making business decisions. Overall, great work.
Emily