21A Reading Reflection
1) What was the general theme or argument of the book? I chose to read The Art of Social Media by Guy Kawasaki. The general theme of this book was to give tips and tricks for one to grow their business through the use of social media. I chose this book because I am extremely interested in the many affects social media has on society. I believe social media is our greatest influencer and many modern marketing techniques are used through various social media apps such as Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003? This book helped me to clarify just how important knowing your targeted audience is. When one is well aware and knows their targeted audience well, it is easy to market to them through social media. I am now able to recognize that many of the brands I follow on social media have a cult following because of how they listen and know their customers.
3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve? If I had to design an exercise for the class based on this book, I would ask all students to make a single account for their business, whether it be Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. In using these social media for their businesses students would have practice using Guy Kawasaki’s methods and know what to do and what not to do when marketing through social media
4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations? As a business student, most of the tips seemed to be common knowledge. One thing I did not know was that through the use of Pinterest a business has the ability to market one’s business or product. I’ve never used Pinterest but this information made me want to make one.
I was looking for someone who had read this book because I was deciding between reading this one and then the one that I actually read so I am happy that I got to read the summary of this book because it seemed extremely interesting to me. That being said, you were really able to summarize the book very well in these couple of questions that were asked. It was really interesting what you said about Pinterest and business marketing efforts. Great job.
ReplyDeleteHey Ayla,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your reflection, you did such a good job of letting us know about what you read and what you thought about it. I didn't get to read the same thing you read, but it seems super interesting! I'm glad you enjoyed it and I hope you got to use something you read as a business student.