12A - Figuring Out Buyer Behavior


Choosing a segment:
For this particular assignment, I chose a segment of young mothers. All three of my interviewees are young mothers who are under 25 years of age. Naomi is 20 years old and her son is about to turn one years old. Aliya is 23 and has a two year old daughter. Madison is 25 and have two children, both under the age of two. I chose to interview these people because I believe mothers are most likely to use the app.


Interviews - Three Mothers Under 25

In many previous interviews, some of the interviewees stated they were more concerned with price rather than quality of ingredients within a product. Two of the mothers interviewed, Naomi and Aliya, stated that they make sacrifices to ensure they use household products which are safe or safer than the conventional, for children. Madison, on the other hand, stated that she tends to only shop at the local health foods store since they cross check items and companies before even selling said brands in their stores. Aliya and Naomi both stated that barcode scanning feature could be brilliant because they don't believe people would use it if they had to look up each individual product. This is because many young mothers have to take their children with them to the grocery store, making researching products at the grocery store nearly impossible. Naomi added that she tends to read labels and look for labels which say Fair trade, USDA Organic, NON GMO approved, Animal Welfare Approved, Cruelty Free, Free Range, and Certified Naturally Grown.


Conclusion:
Based off of the information received by the young mothers I’ve interviewed, I believe that the only way people would use my product, is if they care about the ingredients they ingest and use to wash their clothes, dishes, floors, etc. More specifically, many people aren't consciously thinking about the long term effects of their purchases which to me, is what differentiates a conscious consumer from an ordinary one. Yet, there is a wide market for millennial parents who are more aware of the toxic chemicals and dangerous ingredients used in many household items that can indeed, harm their families.

Comments

  1. Hi Ayla,
    It is perfect that you chose the segment of young mothers due to the fact that your business concept primarily contacts them the most. I would agree with Naomi and Aliys in that I would only purchase products that provide safety while using the certain product. I think it might be a little weird to see other people picking up groceries, especially in the produce section, to scan the item and possibly putting it back down. I feel like this could lead to germs being spread at uncontrollable rates. However, with your business concept comes challenges, and if you really put in the effort of this idea I really think that you will succeed even though this concept only targets one particular targeted market.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment