8A- Solving the problem



The opportunity presented is that there is not an effective and efficient way for the conscious consumer to check ingredient lists while shopping at the grocery store. This problem affects many because looking up individual products and ingredients can prove to be extremely time consuming. My solution is an app that allows one to choose their preferences about ingredients and specific concerns within a product. This would allow one to scan an item and get a score on how toxic it is considered to be based on your preferences. There are other apps and websites that allow you to look up products and ingredients to make more educated decisions when shopping, although I don’t know many people who have taken the effort to take notes and search through each ingredient list. An app that allows one to scan a barcode would take all of the effort out of shopping consciously. Through setting up personal preferences the consumer would have the ability to tell the app what their major concerns are, such as certain ingredients, and the score that comes up would relate to their liking. I feel the preferences part of the app would be integral because each interviewee I talked to had different concerns for products. After the barcode is scanned, a score based on one's preferences will appear. Letting them know if this product met their criteria.

Comments

  1. Hi Ayla,

    I really like this opportunity, it is quite a hassle to constantly look at the back of food products to see what is inside of them. I think there is potential in this opportunity since it offers convenience for the consumer. With an app like you suggest, I think it will not only make it easier for people to see what products contain, but also make it easier to make a list of what needs to be bought. I find that this opportunity covers quite an extensive market, and could prove to be helpful if designed correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ayla,
    I think you had a really good idea about a solution for this problem. I would personally use this app if it were to be created because I know people who have had issues with certain chemicals in different products from the store. This would certainly benefit people who want to be cautious about the safety of products with chemicals.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment